ALDI’s first digital counter: Alditalk.de
Germany’s most important discout shop ALDI made its first step in online sales with a shop for its mobile phone provider Alditalk.de. The message: The online shop is well-thought-out and planned and not the result of competitive pressure.
The Interactive Marketing Group had the unique chance to accompany ALDI on their journey by designing and planning the online shop as well as overseeing the internal realisation and continuous optimization. Additional SEO and Social Media activities were planned to increase the shop’s publicity even further.
Conceptional design and implementation of a digital business model
Developing ALDI into a dominant brand in the digital world was the main goal of this project. To reach this goal, we developed an easy-to-use no-frills online shop: Choose your plan, place your order, done. It just takes three clicks to have your new free sim card delivered to your doorstep.
- Conceptual design and implementation as well as continuous technical optimization of the online shop
- Continuous traffic increase despite reducing advertising costs
- The result: A low cost per order unusual for the whole industry
Organic traffic is key to success
We strongly believe that search engine optimization is the way out of the grips of gatekeepers like Google, Facebook, Amazon & Ebay. We no longer want to support this auction logic and opt for owned digital destinations to generate reach and brand building – which essentially means trust.
For that reason, we installed a SEO taskforce that supported ALDI as part of the project team on location.
- Development of a comprehensive SEO strategy and definition of a KPI set
- Installation and further development of the IT infrastructure incl. role-based reports & dashboards
- Supporting the shift of marketing budgets from expensive one way campaign traffic to sustainable SEO traffic
- Efficient SEO support for IT, product and editorial staff as well as agency QA
- High-end content production support
We love our numbers
The defined KPIs were being monitored daily and reported weekly to the management. These numbers served as the basis for onsite optimizations and outperformed our ambitious goal – although we had to deal with a rocky start.
- After a traffic decrease our adjusted actions for improving the online shop resulted in increasing visits and a remarkably longer visit duration
- We were able to put a number on the „research online, buy offline” users by analyzing sim card activations
Social Media as a resource: Valuable first-hand market insights
Social Media was both a means of communication as well as a data provider: We were able to increase the shop’s publicity through an active community management and blogger relations, visits from those sites increased continuously.
A weekly Social Media analysis provided information on user-relevant topics and how these people talk about the brand. The conclusion: ALDI TALK is a brand users talk about in the most positive way, it has the most satisfied customers (which independent studies attested, too.) The recommendation rate is exceptionally high compared to other service providers.
- Activating brand advocates lead to an even better brand and product perception among users
- Improvement of the quality of the information available online by joining the conversation in relevant online communities
- First-hand market research: Valuable insights for the product management